This year on November 28th, Change Food is asking its friends and supporters to get involved on #GivingTuesday by contributing to an all-day fundraiser through our fiscal sponsor Trust for Conservation Innovation. The Gates Foundation is matching up to $2 million and Facebook will be waiving their fees on that day.
Every year in the United States approximately $162 billion of food is thrown away. That amount proportionally triples during the holidays between Thanksgiving and New Year’s. In fact, $277 million worth of turkey ends up in the trash after Thanksgiving! Your donation to Change Food will help to offset any of your Thanksgiving food waste as it will go toward educational efforts to raise awareness about critical issues such as food waste and food insecurity.
Want to minimize your food waste on Thanksgiving and over the holiday?
Get our free tips on how you can waste less food!
Why Create A Change Food Fundraiser Page on Your Facebook Page?
Your donation and/or help in supporting us is crucial for us to continue working toward our goal of creating a healthy, equitable food system.
And, just as important, we’re creating a community of passionate people who want to do their part in changing the food system and who want to connect with the movement. We want you to share you thoughts, ideas and passion – and to connect with us and each other. Everyone is welcome at the Change Food table.
So please help us by creating your own fundraiser page for Change Food on your Facebook page. We’ve even created easy instructions on how to do this. And then connect with us and get involved! We’ll be doing Facebook Live pieces all during 11/28 and we would love to highlight and connect with you then – and after!
So, don’t forget –
- Set up a Change Food fundraiser page on your personal (or business!) Facebook page today.
- On Tuesday, November 28th, get all your friends and family to donate to your fundraiser on your page. You can even encourage them to set up their own Change Food fundraiser page! Promote it through all your social media.
- Download our 8 Tips to Reduce Food Waste so you can make your holiday more sustainable.
- Please use #changefood and #givingtuesday when doing any promoting through social media.
- If you need help with the ‘story’ they ask you to write, feel free to copy and paste ours.
- And always make sure to stay up to date with information and issues from Change Food.
What is Giving Tuesday?
Started in 2012 by the Belfer Center for Innovation and Social Impact at the 92nd Street Y and United Nations Foundation, Giving Tuesday or #GivingTuesday is a global giving movement that occurs on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving in response to Black Friday and Cyber Monday to kick start giving throughout the winter holiday season. The day of giving connects individuals, communities and organizations through social media around the world in collaboration with influencers and founding partners to encourage giving.
Founding partners include Skype, Cisco, Microsoft, Sony, Aldo, and Starwood Hotels. During the 2nd year of the movement, charitable giving on Giving Tuesday near doubled from $10.1 million to $19.2 million with participation from over 7000 nonprofit organizations. Last year in 2016, a total of $168 million was donated through the campaign.