Our food system is in a state of crisis. Food is a problem of poverty and a problem of failed market mechanisms. Food is a problem of money. Younger generations are in trouble and there is overwhelming inefficiency in today’s industrial agriculture. So, where should we turn in the face of this growing crisis? According to Shen Tong’s TEDxManhattan talk, the solution rests in new business innovations in the food space.
Publications & Reports
- Wasted: How America Is Losing Up to 40 Percent of Its Food from Farm to Fork to Landfill, NRDC Issue Paper, Aug. 2012
NRDC paper that examines the inefficiencies at every step of the U.S. food system. By identifying food losses throughout the food supply chain, this report provides the latest recommendations and examples of emerging solutions.
- Food Futures from the Institute for the Future
- The Third Plate by Dan Barber
- Salt Sugar Fat by Michael Moss.
- What do you see as the biggest problem facing the current food system?
- How can we change the food system as individuals?
- Why is food a pivot point for so many other problems plaguing the world?
- In light of your previous answers, why is it important to fund early stage entrepreneurship?
Wasted Food is the blog of Jonathan Bloom, author of American Wasteland, where he continues to write about food waste issues, current events and potential solutions.
Where to Follow:
Things You Can Do
- Buy from innovative and sustainable food companies that prioritize health.
- Get familiar with local startups, and invest if you have the means.
- Join campaigns against detrimental food and farming practices via organizations like the Food & Water Watch.
Food-X is the #1 Food Innovation Accelerator in the World. We help food entrepreneurs bring their products and services to market at super speed.
Food-X partners with early stage companies from across the food supply chain, from agriculture through consumer packaged goods, and helps these companies grow fast through:
● Startup Capital: Up to $50K in capital
● Mentorship: Access and workshops with food industry thought and business leaders
● Network: Access to a world class network of leading food companies, investors and press
● Curriculum: based on years of learnings from SOSV’s accelerators & experts
● Co-working Space: Collaborative co-working with likeminded food entrepreneurs
● Alumni Network: A powerful alumni network of over 1000 SOSV startup foundersStone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture Food Tank
Food Tank is focused on building a global community for safe, healthy, nourished eaters. We spotlight environmentally, socially, and economically sustainable ways of alleviating hunger, obesity, and poverty and create networks of people, organizations, and content to push for food system change.Food and Tech Connect
Food+Tech Connect is the site of record and community for the food tech and innovation sector. We give innovators the tech and business insights, connections and skills you need to transform the food industry.
We are at the beginning of the most radical transformation of our food industry since the Green Revolution. From sensors and software that help farmers improve margins, to crowdfunding platforms that help food artisans kick-start their business, to big data and apps that allow consumers to make more informed choices, there has been an explosion of startups and innovators who are disrupting how food is produced, distributed, sold and consumed. And for the past five years, we’ve been honored to be the voice of and hub for this revolution.
We launched Food+Tech Connect in 2010 to connect, inspire, inform and accelerate the good food innovation movement. Through our website, newsletters and consulting, we help people understand the top food tech, investment and innovation trends. Through our events, we bring entrepreneurs, investors, executives, designers, technologists, chefs, farmers, journalists, advocates and more together to network, collaborate, share best practices and explore the future of the industry. And through our online and in-person training courses, we make it easy for people to cultivate business skills.Natural Resources Defense Council
Natural Resources Defense Council, Peter Lehner’s organization, includes facts and additional resources about food waste on the NRDC website.New York City Coalition Against Hunger Niman Ranch Pork Company Accel Foods Rodale Institute