In just the past century, livestock production has shifted from pasture based farms to factory operations. This overcrowding of livestock for meat production isn’t just inhumane for the animals, but also pollutes the air and water for people living nearby. Steve Wing talks about the impact of factory farms on the environment and the people.
Publications & Reports
- Animal Factory, David Kirby, 2010: http://us.macmillan.com/animalfactory/davidkirby
- CAFO – The Tragedy of Industrial Animal Factories, Ed. Daniel Imhoff, 2010: http://www.cafothebook.org/thebook.htm#up
Reports & Studies:
- Air Pollution from Industrial Swine Operations and Blood Pressure of Neighboring Residents, Steve Wing, Rachel Avery Horton, & Kathryn M. Rose, 2013: http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/1205109/
- Land application of treated sewage sludge: Community health and environmental justice, Amy Lowman, Mary Anne McDonald, Steve Wing, & Naeema Muhammad, 2013: http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/1205470/; http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/wp-content/uploads/121/5/ehp.1205470.pdf
- A case control study of environmental and occupational exposures associated with methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus nasal carriage in patients admitted to a rural tertiary care hospital in a high density swine region, Leah Schinasi, Steve Wing, Kerri L. Augustino, Keith M. Ramsey, Delores L. Nobles, David B. Richardson, Lance B. Price, Maliha Aziz, Pia DM MacDonald and Jill R. Stewart, 2014: http://ehjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1476-069X-13-54
- Asthma symptoms among adolescents who attend public schools that are located near confined swine feeding operations, MC Mirabelli, S Wing, SW Marshall, TC Wilcosky, 2006: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16818539
- Factory Farm Nation, Food & Water Watch, Nov. 2010: http://www.factoryfarmmap.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/FactoryFarmNation-web.pdf
- An HSUS Report: The Impact of Industrialized Animal Agriculture on the Environment, Humane Society of the United States: http://www.humanesociety.org/assets/pdfs/farm/hsus-the-impact-of-industrialized-animal-agriculture-on-the-environment.pdf
Blogs & Websites:
- Whole Hog NC: http://wholehognc.org
- Factory Farm Map: http://www.factoryfarmmap.org/ – a project of Food & Water Watch
- Sustainable Table: http://www.sustainabletable.org/869/impacts-of-industrial-agriculture
- Farms Not Factories: http://www.farmsnotfactories.org/ – London-based nonprofit
- NC Environmental Quality – Animal Feeding Operation Permits: http://deq.nc.gov/about/divisions/water-resources/water-resources-permits/wastewater-branch/cafo-permits
- Make It Possible: http://www.makeitpossible.com – Austrialian-based
Organization: Food and Water Watch
Organization’s Website: http://foodandwaterwatch.org
Organization’s Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FoodandWaterWatch
Organization’s Twitter: @foodandwater
Organization’s Instagram: @Foodandwaterwatch
Steve Wing received his Ph.D. in epidemiology from The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill where he is currently an associate professor. Recent work has focused on environmental injustice and health effects of ionizing radiation, industrial animal production, sewage sludge, and landfills. He has collaborated on health and exposure studies with communities and workers impacted by threats to environmental and occupational health.
- Why do you think factory farming exists?
- How would our world change if we no longer had factory farming?
- Do animals have the right to a certain quality of life? What would that look like? How would it change our current farming system?
Things you can do…
- Pledge to end factory farming with FarmForward: http://farmforward.com/featured-pledge/
- Visit DoSomething.org to learn more facts about animals and factory farms and sign up for a campaign: https://www.dosomething.org/us/facts/11-facts-about-animals-and-factory-farms
- HFA Campaign Against Factory Farming: http://www.hfa.org/hboDocumentary.html
- ASPCA Fight Factory Farm Cruelty: http://www.aspca.org/animal-cruelty/factory-farms
- Browse and sign up for a campaign on DoSomething.org: https://www.dosomething.org/us/facts/11-facts-about-animals-and-factory-farms
Conferences, Meetings, & Events:
- Farm Sanctuary: http://www.farmsanctuary.org/events/ (Farm Animal Care Conference in NY in September 2016)
OrganizationsFood & Water Watch
The Center for Food Safety is a national non-profit public interest and environmental advocacy organization seeking to protect human health and the environment by preventing the use of harmful food production technologies and by encouraging the use of organic and other forms of sustainable agriculture.Socially Responsible Agricultural Project
Natural Resources Defense Council, Peter Lehner’s organization, includes facts and additional resources about food waste on the NRDC website.Humane Society of the United States
The nation’s largest animal protection and advocacy organization, the Humane Society of the United States seeks to combat animal cruelty.North Carolina Environmental Justice Network