MATZO CAKE RECIPE
6-7 Eggs Separated
1 Cup Sugar
1 Tspn Vanilla 1 Dash of Salt
1/4 – 1/3 Cup Kosher Concord Grape Wine
1/2 Cup Matzo Meal
1/2 Cup Grated German Chocolate
1/2 Cup Grated Almonds
1 Rounded Tbls Cocoa
1 Tspn Baking Powder
1. Beat whites stiff at highest speed.
2. Add one cup of sugar slowly .
3. In separate bowl beat egg yolks well and add dash of salt, vanilla & wine .
4. Add above to whites and mix well on medium speed .
5. Add matzo meal, chocolate, almonds, cocoa and baking powder
ADD DRY INGREDIENTS TO EGGS BY TABLESPOON & MIX WELL ON LOW SPEED.
6. When mixed pour into greased pan and bake in 325 oven for 30-35 minutes. Test for doneness after 20-25 may take as long as 40 minutes. Torte is done when top stops moving and cake starts to pull away from sides of pan. When cool cake will pull away further from sides and top will have a slight crust.
This recipe was my grandmother’s and she brought it from Germany with her. My mother would never give the recipe out. Enjoy!
Change Food® works toward a healthier food system for people, animals & the planet. Learn more about our new program Plant Eat Share – planting food in public spaces. For free. Support us today! #changefood