The end of summer is fast approaching, which often means barbecues, backyard parties and poolside hangouts. For the vegans out there, this may call for some extra prep on your part, but the payoff can be gratifying. Times are changing, and there are numerous ways to incorporate vegan living into all your parties and gatherings — even the summer backyard bashes that involve a grill.
Whether you’re spending your day with your pals or at a family function, you can count on many recipes, techniques and tips to make sure the food selection is a hit for everyone involved.
Vegan Recipes to Try
While hosts often plan with guests in mind, it’s also smart to bring something to any function you’re attending. You never know what the pickings will be, so whipping up a delicious vegan dish or two can never hurt. Whether you bring enough for yourself and the other vegans in your circle, you end up with leftovers or the whole party ends up partaking, you can rest assured you’ve made something delicious. Turning to a few simple recipes can do the trick:
1. Classic Veggie Burgers
Whether you bring them in tow to toss on the grill or show up with a ready platter in hand, who could say no to a classic, flavorful burger at a backyard barbecue or summer party? Black bean burgers are the ultimate plant-based filler, sure to satisfy vegans and non-vegans alike.
2. Quinoa-And-Vegetable-Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
If you’re looking to go for the healthier, more unconventional side of things, you can always spring for these delicious stuffed mushrooms. They’re juicy, flavorful and totally unique. These could bring a welcome change to any summer table.
3. Vegan Slaw
If sides are more your thing, toss this coleslaw into the mix. Those who love slaw won’t think twice about going in on this delicious side. It’s an easy and quick way to complete a full vegan spread.
4. Green Smoothie Popsicles
If you’re on the hunt for a vegan dessert or something to cool down the masses, look no further than these green smoothie ice pops. They’re healthy and sure to hit the spot, especially on those end-of-summer days that still have you sweating. You can even mix up the recipe for different flavors, depending on your preferences.
Tips for a Vegan Cookout
To make your cookout run smoothly, there are a few tips you can keep in mind when it comes to vegan food. No matter the situation, you deserve to feel respected in your choices and have a positive experience. Some people will naturally be more receptive than others, but these tips can help you out as you navigate the scene:
- Bring a main, not just sides. This way, you know you’ll be satisfied, and it won’t be awkward if everyone has a sit-down meal.
- Be the host! When it’s your house, you’re the one who gets to call the shots, cook the food and prepare everything. Cook up as much vegan food as you want, invite other vegans and encourage people to bring meatless dishes if you’re potlucking.
- Bring enough to share: This way, you might even get a few more people on the vegan food train.
- Eat before you go. If you’re only bringing one dish or you’re told the party will have options for you, it can be a good idea not to arrive completely famished, just in case.
- Bring fruit. It’s an easy option that’s not “specially made vegan food” but is still safe and refreshing for you.
Enjoy Your Summer End
No matter where you go these last days of summer, it’s not really about the food — it’s about the people you spend your time with. But you can still bring some delicious vegan goodness to knock your party’s proverbial socks off.
Change Food® works toward a healthier food system for people, animals & the planet. Learn more about our new program Plant Eat Share – planting food in public spaces. For free. Support us today! #changefood