Hi Tony –
I hope you had a great holiday! I’m watching you on Home Shopping Network right now (and just bought an Ultimate Edge Program) and would love to invite you to join my Advisory Board. I’m the founder/head of Change Food – we strive to create a healthy food system for all. What you do with Feeding America and other nonprofits is amazing, but hunger work, as I’m sure you know, is a stopgap – it’s not a solution.
As I’m also sure you know from the work you do, we need to give people the right resources and both educate and empower them to be able to make the changes that they need to make. I believe change happens from both within and from the ground up, in local communities.
I’d be so appreciative if you could help me with Change Food for several reasons, including:
- Your success at motivating people and creating change. This is desperately needed in the nonprofit world, especially in the food movement. You could help Change Food become a catalyst for positive change around healthy food – or you could help me help Change Food…. Everything revolves around food – you can’t properly educate a child unless they’re well fed; food has a huge impact on climate change; healthy food helps one focus, have energy and achieve one’s goals – and on and on.
- Your success and experience at running your business. Even though I’m a nonprofit, I’m still a business, and I want to find mentors who can help me turn my nonprofit into more of a business-like operation.
- I want energy like yours!
- My funder has changed focus and will no longer be funding Change Food after spring 2017. Though that might seem like a setback and is scary, it’s also a huge advantage because Change Food is now free to pursue many opportunities that weren’t possible before, and I’m also free to be more creative.
There are many reasons why you’d be a great asset to Change Food, including:
- The landscape of food is changing. Watch futurist Erica Orange’s talk from The Change Food Fest on the shift of businesses from being sustainable to being beyond sustainable – to putting back more than they take out. I believe this will involve for profit companies creating their own nonprofit arm and/or partnering with nonprofits already in existence to support work in sustainability and healthy food. You already do this type of work with the charity part of your efforts and the amount you give back – mentoring Change Food in how you do what you do would help us be able to encourage other companies to do the same. This would ultimately help tens of thousands – or more! – people.
- Together, I know you would help propel myself and the many people already in the food advocacy space to change the food system to one where everyone is able to get healthy food. It’s not just about feeding people – it’s about providing healthy food and helping people gain the ability to ultimately provide their own food.
There is no financial commitment, though I will be asking you throughout the year for ideas and if you have connections to various people and entities that might help Change Food. And I will ask for ideas and suggestions when appropriate. (And, obviously, I’d never turn a donation down!)
I don’t want to take up too much of your time so I’ll leave it here. If you are interested and would like more information, just let me know – I’ve put a one pager about us below.
I hope you’ll join me in changing food!
All the best,
Diane – diane (at) changefood (dot) org
ps: You might not remember, but I’m the producer of an animated cartoon called The Meatrix. Your assistant was in touch with me around 10 years ago to discuss the possibility of you showing The Meatrix before your events. I’m sorry that never happened – but this is another chance for you to help make a huge impact in changing food. Thanks so much!
pps: You can learn more about my current passions by watching a recent talk I gave at an event I put on. Food Tech Needs the Voice of Good Food (Warning – I am not a seasoned speaker like you. Not yet, at least!…)