PLANT EAT SHARE
OUR VISION: BUILD AN UNSTOPPABLE GLOBAL MOVEMENT
OF PASSIONATE CITIZENS
WHO PLANT, EAT AND SHARE HEALTHY FOOD. FOR FREE.
Food is a human right. The core ingredients of food – fresh fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts and seeds – should not come with a price. Every human being has the right to eat and enjoy healthy, safe, delicious food. Everyone.
According to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, over 820 million people do not have enough to eat. At the same time, every region of the world has an epidemic of overweight and obesity, caused at least in part by unhealthy food. Add to that the growing epidemic of loneliness around the world – which can lead to a higher risk of heart disease, arthritis, Type 2 diabetes, dementia and even suicide attempts – and we have a global crisis.
Rather than wait for government or policymakers to solve issues with food insecurity, our global health epidemic, increasing issues with isolation and loneliness – and even critical problems such as climate change – we all need to come together and solve the problems facing us in our own community. Rather than one person changing the world, we need millions of people changing their hometown and local area.
We need a revolutionary movement of citizens around the world growing healthy food – for free.
Plant Eat Share is a creative effort to encourage growing and/or providing healthy food for free in communities around the world. Change Food will aggregate groups and programs already working in some way to provide healthy food for free to communities, as well as host plantings in designated areas across the US and world. Plant Eat Share will template and encourage other communities to adapt and replicate these programs, as well as to develop new ways to grow and offer food for free.
Our focus is on regenerative agriculture – growing food with soil health in mind and using no chemical fertilizers or pesticides. That is the way to ensure the food being grown is the healthiest, most nutritious possible.
This is being done in an effort to bring together programs currently underway, strengthen this burgeoning effort, and create an unstoppable global movement of individuals and groups growing food in their community for all to eat and enjoy.
Air is a human right; water is a human right. Why not food?
WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?
By helping communities grow food for all to enjoy for free, we’ll help:
- Reduce food insecurity – according to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, over 820 million people do not have enough to eat
- End our global health crisis – healthy, regenerative food can help minimize or end many medical ailments
- Combat climate change – food is one of the largest contributors to climate change
- Extend your life! – A Dutch study reported that subjects who were given a stressful task and then gardened for 30 minutes after had lower cortisol (stress) levels and better moods. The oldest people alive all have one thing in common – they garden
- Build community and ease rampant isolation
- Build soil health – Planting regenerative gardens replenishes soil health, considered by many to be Earth’s most valuable ecosystem. The microbes in soil are as important to our health as those in our bodies. Industrial farming and pesticide application kills these beneficial microbes
- Provide job skills and training – Though our work is free and done through volunteers, planting and caring for gardens trains individuals for jobs at landscape centers, nurseries and similar businesses. Food grown can inspire entrepreneurs to start new food businesses
- Increase demand for healthy, unprocessed food
- Increase understanding of the hard work farmers do for all of us
- Reconnect people to the earth – if you plant it, odds are you will eat it
TYPES OF FOOD SHARING
There are different types of food sharing programs – the ones we’ve listed below have at least some component that involves giving away or sharing free food. We’ll add more information about each one shortly.
- Community Gardens
- Food Forests
- Guerilla Gardening
- Land Share
- Public Planting
GOALS OF PLANT EAT SHARE
- Change public mindset around food to one in which healthy food becomes a human right
- Start a global movement locally, with communities implementing Plant Eat Share programs or PES promoted programs
- Increase public understanding of healthy food and healthy food access
SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS
To achieve UN Sustainable Development Goal 2 – end hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition, and promote sustainable agriculture; and Goal 3 – achieve good health – we need radical new thinking and creativity. We need visionaries to propose solutions that are outside bureaucracies and the stronghold of big business.
Plant Eat Share will address 7 of the 17 UN SDGs. We’ll bring together an unstoppable force of world citizenry to plant food wherever there is space – for anyone in the community to enjoy.
JOIN THE MOVEMENT